Friday, March 27

reupholstering vanity - chair that is.



my dear gram gave me this chair years ago - and as you can see, the seat & fabric have seen better days. It was a part of her vanity set as a girl, so it is quite important to me, and took me a while (years) to find a fabric worthy of replacing it.

i found this fabric on my last trip to NYC. Mostly because i can't visit NYC and NOT shop the garment district, luckily. this bit of pretty was in a remnant bin right at the entrance, under a pile of crazy fabrics i had positively no interest in. i scoured that whole store, and as i was getting ready to leave, caught it out of the corner of my eye. i knew what it was for the instant i laid eyes on it.


i'm so pleased with how it came out. if you have never re-upholstered, do not be afraid, it is easy! google it as a how-to, you will find a million ways to do it. i was able to salvage the seat padding and tiny little tacks the original furniture maker used, which made me quite happy. One day i will re-finish the wood as well, but until i get one of my woodworking friends to assess the inlay on the back rest, i won't touch it.

now i'm thinking a gorgeous little purse with the leftover fabric scraps....

No comments: