Wednesday, March 18

fiddlehead soup recipe


I'm a seasonal food person for sure, and have a serious penchant for fiddleheads in spring.
fiddlehead soup. it is still too cold here for the fiddleheads, but I keep one serving frozen from last season just for this recipe, when I need a serious dose of spring memories. like last week.

this is a simple recipe, I make it to taste, not by measurements, so try it out and have fun!
fiddleheads frozen, thawed (fresh works too, be sure to boil to soft consistency)
milk, cream or substitute
romano cheese
garlic, chopped/diced - if you dont care for chunks, garlic powder does the trick too.
pinch of salt



Directions: cook it all up, dont get it boiling, there is milk in there :) then eat it.

this is also an amazing sauce to put over pasta - the ferns uncoil to make little green noodles.
I'm sure you could also puree this whole mix to make baby food or insanely awesome bread dip.

fiddleheads are the delicious edible fern coils that have a short spring season. I'm very lucky to know a couple folks here in southern Vermont who hook me up so I'm not foraging high and low for them, all I need to do is grab a bag and start prepping. Lots of prepping. but these little green guys are fresh only a few weeks out of the year, so enjoy it! Trim off the ends of each fern, pluck /rinse away any debris. It is easiest to think of fiddleheads in terms of pasta - in order to get them to edible state, you need to soften, at the very least par boil them to freeze for later. Oh, and salt the hell out of them. Boiling takes the bitterness and the extra brown stuff off. The water looks um, well, gross when you're getting close to done - I like my fiddleheads "al dente" in pasta terms....others like mushy and soft - I get you! my favorite recipe with fiddleheads include sliced oyster mushrooms, garlic, some good butter, white wine and a saute pan. thats it.


PS - if you want to go foraging for your own, that is awesome! keep check on how many you forage on any one plant, 3 heads max on a plant or you may do damage to the future health of the ferns.

No comments: