Wednesday, March 11

amish friendship bread


today was my first baking day of amish friendship bread - there is a 10-day cycle it goes through - see the recipe cards I made for you to download & print out if you wish...

I really enjoy recipes that give latitude - keep the basic bones of this, but flair it up as you wish. our friends joe & luci who passed us our first amish friendship bread starter add gorgeous fruits and spice or nut blends that will drop your jaw. vanilla pudding mix makes a nice addition too! with all the care you give to your bread, you will find the best part is the comradeship you feel. it is nice to know that 10 days from now, each friend I passed a starter of this bread, will be making theirs as I am making mine... and luci & joe will be too!

the time and work going into your amish friendship bread is positively worth it, and of course, you get to connect with a couple friends a week in so many ways - which, can't we all use a little more of?

PS - everyone remind drew that he needs to make me some big ole glass bowls! lets just say my glass blender was involved in this recipe, as there is only one non metal bowl in my house - and taking up residence is our sourdough bread starter! I happily liken this to another case of the glassmaker's wife, similar to the shoemaker's children... :)

No comments: